A new generation of vacuum cleaners is conquering the market: bagless vacuum cleaners. Twenty years ago, the Dyson company began to develop cyclone technology and, in 1993, launched the first device with the so-called “double cyclone” technology. Technology has evolved rapidly since then, but the basic principle has remained the same. Today there are many vacuum cleaners on the market which, thanks to the cyclonic effect, do without bags completely and instead collect the dirt in a dust container.
The advantages of a bagless vacuum cleaner are apparent: by doing without bags, the amount of waste is reduced, which makes it exceptionally environmentally friendly. In addition, the vain search for the right bag is a thing of the past. Thanks to the transparent housing, it is always possible to see when the dust container is full. Only when the bin is complete does the suction power decrease. With vacuum cleaners equipped with bags, however, the suction force constantly decreases.
In this article, we offer you a comparison of the best bagless vacuum cleaners according to your budget and a buying guide to choose it well.
Important things to consider before buying a bagless vacuum cleaner
The capacity of a bagless vacuum can vary significantly from model to model and should match your cleaning expectations. If it does not have a good capacity and you are going to clean a large area, you will have to empty the tank constantly.
They don’t need a bag, but they do need maintenance. A canister vacuum needs to be cleaned and conditioned regularly to keep it running smoothly. The more straightforward the process, the more time you save!
The longer the cord, the better to avoid constantly changing outlets. The more meters of cables you have, the greater the freedom of movement.
Do you have pets at home? Many brands offer special vacuum cleaners for animals, with specific accessories and functions for this more demanding type of cleaning.
1- Rowenta Silence Force Animal Cyclonic Care Bagless Vacuum Cleaner: The best bagless vacuum cleaner on our list
The Rowenta Silence Force Cyclonic Animal Care can boast of being the quietest on this list.
Its design is slightly reminiscent of Polti’s Forzaspira bagless vacuum cleaner and Cecotec’s Conga EcoExtreme, but its efficiency is much higher (as is its price, of course). Its Effitech motor makes the most of its 550 watts of power, sucking up pet hair, sand, stones and even coins with no problem. Thanks to the cyclonic Air Booster technology, you will barely notice the difference compared to more powerful models. On the other hand, it is remarkable in terms of noise: only 65 dB, which corresponds roughly to the conversation volume.
It has a power regulator and rubber wheels, which makes it the ideal device if you are looking for a bagless vacuum cleaner for parquet.
It has an extensive collection of accessories. It comes with 5 attachments that allow you to clean any area, one of which I loved is the rotating brush, which removes pet hair from any fabric, even if it is encrusted.
It is a vacuum suitable for homes with pets and allergy sufferers (see also vacuum cleaners for allergy sufferers ) and for deep cleaning multi-surface spaces. But it’s not a vacuum for homes with many stairs, the elderly, or those who don’t have a lot of space at home because it’s bulky and not exactly lightweight.
In these cases, it would be better to switch from the Silence Force Cyclonic series to the Compact Power series from Rowenta. It’s not relatively as quiet, but its performance is pretty close and it weighs almost half as much!
- Dirt management is impeccable. In addition to its filtration, which removes 99.98% of dirt, the device has a locking system that prevents accidental opening of the tank.
- The PowerAir brush head allows you to achieve incredible results on hard floors or carpets without changing devices.
- Dimensions 43.5 x 30 x 33.3 cm and weight 5 kg.
- The cable is 8.4 meters, which gives a radius of action of about 11 meters.
- Quietest (65 dB)
- Wide range of accessories
- Most effective on all surfaces
- Won’t scratch parquet or marble
- The automatic cable collector falls do not always work
- No space for storing accessories
2- BISSELL 2254 CleanView Swivel Rewind Pet
If you have a pet at home and are determined to keep the hairs at bay, the BISSELL is the weapon for you. This vacuum can handle all types of dog or cat hair (whether long or short) and leaves no marks, even on carpets.
Despite its good suction power, it does not exceed 72 dB thanks to the SilencePro system, which combines an adjustable power motor and a main magnetic brush (which makes less noise when it moves), so you can skip the vacuum cleaner without the other inhabitants of the house complaining.
It’s not one of the most powerful, it offers 750w, but the manufacturer claims it performs like a 2000w vacuum. The perfect fit of the accessories also influences this. The problem is that you cannot move around as much as you would like with a weight of 5 kg and such a limited tank capacity (1.5 litres).
The wheels are of good quality, which allows you not to scratch the boards, marble or parquet; unlike those of Cecotec, this vacuum cleaner glides ideally and is very comfortable to use.
And why is it a good option for allergy sufferers? Thanks to its Allergy-plus washable filtering system, designed for this purpose and incorporates a HEPA H13.
In the LX7 series to which this bagless vacuum cleaner belongs, there are two other versions: the LX7-2-EB-P and the LX7-2-DB-P. They are identical models except for details in the colour of the finishes. The significant difference between them is that the AEG LX7-2-CR-A uses a washable Hepa 13 Allergy Plus filter, while the other two models use washable E12 hygienic filters.
- Easy Empty is an easy emptying system with which you can remove the tank and empty it into the bin at the press of a button.
- Built-in parking slots allow you to park it (leave it upright) and place the tube upright without dropping it.
- Thanks to the cyclonic turbo technology, the inlet microfilter and the 4 filtration levels, everything this vacuum absorbs is transformed into clean air.
- It has automatic cable collection.
- Dimensions 43 x 27 x 32 cm and weight 5 kg.
- Quiet (72dB)
- Washable allergy filter
- Picks up all types of pet hair
- 1.4L tank
- 5kg weight
3- BOSCH 18V Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
The BOSCH 18V is a vacuum designed for users who customize everything, even how they clean! It is equipped with an electronic power regulator and various accessories that allow you to adapt the cleaning to the type of floor and the degree of dirt you are confronted with. I particularly liked the brush for delicate floors like parquet because the bristles made of natural bristles allow you to vacuum without damaging the floor.
This vacuum cleaner has at most 700 watts of power. It even sticks to the ground with a suction cup effect, which is annoying initially but does not detract from its effectiveness.
It is very compact, but despite this, the tube is quite long, which solves one of the Hoover Sprint Evo’s problems, namely that it is unsuitable for tall people. In addition, the materials are of good quality, so you will not have problems mounting the accessories as with other models we have tested. I also found it very useful that it came with an automatic cable winder.
With the performance and good results, this vacuum offers, it only has a 1.5-litre tank, making it short for deep cleaning around the house. However, it cleans and empties quickly and has an optical level indicator.
Although I found more positives than negatives, I feel that the performance and capacity of the Bosch BGC05AAA2 GS05 are a bit unbalanced. For larger homes, I would opt for other models of the brand, such as the Bosch BGS41K332, with a capacity of 4 litres. The problem is that this one is significantly less powerful and costs almost a third more. Finding the right balance can be challenging!
- Its innovative HiSpin motor contains aerodynamic blades that calibrate airflow and optimize energy consumption.
- ERGOPLUS tubular handle for easy handling.
- Its washable HEPA H12 hygienic filter and 4-stage dust separation system are efficient and a good choice for allergy sufferers.
- The movement is carried out using a practical system of three wheels: the two rear wheels are fixed, and the front wheel rotates 360º.
- Dimensions 31 x 26 x 38 cm and weight 4.4 kg (unassembled).
- Quick and easy maintenance
- Easy parking and storage function
- Electronic power regulator
- Washable HEPA filter
- 1.5L capacity
- Suction on the carpet does not glide well
4- Kenmore DU2015 Bagless Upright Vacuum Lightweight Carpet Cleaner
Clean quickly and effortlessly. While it is obvious that these are two of the fundamental aspects that we demand from a vacuum cleaner, not all meet this objective with the same efficiency level. The Kenmore does, and I was surprised. Why? Because of its price, I expected something other than such a versatile and efficient device, almost on par with such popular models as the AEG LX7-2-CR-A bagless vacuum cleaner, which I will also review later.
To begin with, it is a cyclonic vacuum cleaner with a power of 800 watts, which is already above the average of the models I present in this review. And also because its tank has a capacity of 2 litres, which is a little larger than bagless vacuum cleaners at lower prices.
The Polti is suitable for vacuuming all floors, consumes little energy, and regulates the power to adapt to the characteristics of each surface. So much for the praise, but some aspects deserve a slap on the wrist from Polti, such as the wheels, which are too small and deflect the vacuum to one side, and some of the tank fixings at the base, which give way easily (care must be taken during transport). Also, the suction tube is short, which is not a good option for tall people.
The brand offers two other versions, the Forzaspira C130 Plus and the Forzaspira MC330 Turbo. From the point of view of technical specifications, they are similar. They have a slightly lower power and capacity (700 watts / 1.5 l) but come with even more accessories.
- The NoTouch tank was quickly removed from the central unit and emptied with the click of a button on the base. Clean and empty in just one minute.
- The Parking System 2 feature allows you to leave the vacuum upright while cleaning.
- 4-stage air filtration system with cyclonic technology and washable and reusable HEPA filter.
- The automatic cable collection system
- Dimensions 28 x 38 x 32 cm and weight 4.7 kg.
- Electronic power regulation
- An effective filtering system
- Low power consumption
- Good selection of standard accessories
- Automatic cable rewind
- small wheels
- The tube is too short for tall people
- The “flexible” tube is too rigid
- Poor-quality plastic materials
5- BISSELL 2999 MultiClean Allergen Pet Vacuum
Although the 700 watts of this vacuum may seem paltry, the BISSELL 2999 is one of the most powerful vacuums in the comparison. It’s all about technology, and Cecotec has excelled with the UltraPower Technology system and the TimeCyclonic Pro.
To sum up: The BISSELL 2999 EcoExtreme is a multi-cyclonic vacuum cleaner that vacuums in several simultaneous stages, just like the Polti Forzaspira C110 Plus. Only in this case is the method also optimized to maintain suction power. (Note: it increases the suction, but that does not mean it consumes little).
In terms of suction power, tank capacity, various accessories and technology, few match the Cecotec (at least in this price range). Still, as usual with this brand, it lags a bit in terms of material quality, the wheels don’t spin as they should, and the tubes don’t fit snugly on more occasions than is desirable. Also worth mentioning is that the tube is a little short so I wouldn’t recommend it for tall people.
It is also one of the models of bagless vacuum cleaners, of which several versions are available. Besides the Cecotec EcoExtreme, three other models make up the Cecotec Conga 3000 series: X-Treme, X-Treme Pro and X-Treme Animal Pro. They have similar characteristics but differ in three fundamental aspects: these other models have a power of 800 watts, a tank of 4 litres and weigh heavier (almost 1 kg more, which is already noticeable).
Suppose you do not want to lose suction power. In that case, it is advisable to regularly clean the inside of the tube with this vacuum cleaner model since, due to its design, it accumulates and can even compact and obstruct the passage air.
- 5-stage air filtration and high-efficiency filter (HEPA H13). Absorbs up to 99.98% of dust and dirt particles and returns clean air.
- The system’s ergonomic design allows you to handle the device lightly and efficiently within a working radius of 9 m or to park the module by fixing the telescopic tube in a vertical position.
- The high power does not compromise the noise level. Thanks to the UltraSilence system, it does not exceed 78 dB at maximum power.
- The suction is adjustable and adapts to your cleaning: Turbo for rugs and carpets, ECO for hard floors.
- Dimensions 41 x 27 x 31 cm and weight 4.5 kg.
- It has an automatic cable collector.
- 3.5L tank
- A large number of accessories
- Good suction power
- Efficient filtration system with HEPA filter
- Vacuums on all surfaces and all floor types
- A telescopic tube is a bit short for tall people
- No spare filters
- Materials could be improved
- Manoeuvrability is a weak point.
6- Hoover Power Drive Bagless Multi Floor Upright Vacuum
The price of this bagless corded vacuum cleaner (less than 100 €) suggests that it will not be one of the most advanced and powerful on the market, but it is not always the most expensive. That is the best. Of course, it all depends a lot on what you will use it for. If you are not looking for deep cleaning but a vacuum cleaner for everyday use, the Hoover Sprint Evo SE51 is perfect since it takes up very little space, is the lightest of those we have analyzed and has a power of suction which is not bad all.
It’s a bagless cyclonic vacuum cleaner that you can use on a wide range of surfaces, and thanks to its 5m cable, it allows you to work with some freedom of movement. Compared to other similar vacuum cleaners, such as Cecotec’s Conga EcoExtreme 3000 (with a 3.5-litre tank), its 1.5-litre capacity is limited.
The vacuum cleaner weighs only 3.75 kg and, when assembled, only 4 kg. It has rubber wheels that don’t scratch the floor, and it’s straightforward to move around the house with it (and quietly). Be warned that it only comes with one attachment, and I don’t recommend it for tall people, as the tube may be too short and cause lower back pain.
The Hoover Sprint Evo SE51 comes in three versions: the All Floors, the special parquet, and the version for homes with pets. All three share the exact technical specifications but have different brushes to adapt to each type of cleaning.
- Its 4-level filtering system ensures high efficiency by trapping particles and dirt to restore clean air.
- It is equipped with a HEPA filter.
- A regulator on the hose allows you to adjust the airflow. It allows the suction to be slightly controlled, with the operating power fixed.
- Includes a handle on the top so you can move it more comfortable when going up or down stairs.
- It measures 26.5 x 27.5 x 38.5 cm and weighs 3.75 kg (without hose and accessories).
- Meagre weight
- It takes up little space
- We can not say that it is silent (80 dB)
- No power regulator
- The tube may be too short for tall people
How is the power of a vacuum cleaner measured?
Basically, like any other household appliance: in watts (w).
However, it is a common mistake to confuse wattage with suction power.
Although there is some relationship between the two variables, it is not precisely a cause-and-effect relationship. That’s why a low-powered vacuum cleaner can have equal or better suction power than a higher-powered vacuum cleaner if it uses a suitable suction system.
Are all bagless vacuum filters washable?
Another critical point to consider is the filter, not only because of its efficiency but also because of its reusable nature.
Most filters can usually be removed and washed in water for reuse.
Others are replaced with a new one at the end of their useful life. But some models have filters that are not replaceable, and this can be a problem if it is not an efficient model.
Indeed, the first thing we think of when we buy a bagless vacuum cleaner is that we would like everything, and in a big way: large capacity, high power, and a wide choice of accessories.
But to make a good purchase, you must first assess your current needs. There’s little point in overpaying for dazzling accessories if it turns out that most of the time you’re going to keep them in a drawer.
Once you’ve tried a bagless vacuum, it’s hard to return to a traditional vacuum. With so many bagless vacuum cleaners on the market, you’re sure to find one perfect for your needs and budget.
Should you choose a bagged or bagless vacuum cleaner?
It depends on your preferences. Having a bag or not does affect the efficiency of a vacuum cleaner, but it does affect the comfort of use. Vacuum cleaners with a bag are more comfortable because it is not necessary to clean the tank when it is complete, you throw the bag, and that’s it. However, it would help if you kept an eye out for spare bags, which is an additional cost.